Mclaren Diesels

Technical queries, 'wants', spares for sale / swap etc.

Mclaren Diesels

Postby Thunderstruck » 01 Dec 2008 20:02

Mega mega wild stab in the dark here, but....

Anyone know of anyone who can supply spares such as piston rings (or indeed any spares) for Mclaren Diesel engines?

(our ickle crane is a bit poorly bad with ring/crank case pressure issues :( )
Jo Coultas,

Co owner of over 500 tonnes of English Electric "Fancies and Collectables"

English Electric, The original and best, accept no substitute!
Thunderstruck

Re: Mclaren Diesels

Postby benson 149 » 02 Dec 2008 04:23

Hi
Mclaren diesels mega rare nowdays do you have an engine model number or name i can chase up a couple of my contacts, and if any good give you their details to organise what you need .
Mclaren engines were used extensively on boats and early hudswell clarke locos as well as gardener diesels were, so chasing boat engine reconditioners may be usefull, try fishing boat suppliers there's one site called "find a fishing boat . com" i think so may be of help.
also The Middleton railway (leeds)found a replacement engine for their early LMS Hunslet diesel shunter couple of years ago when original one put a leg out of bed! so they might have a few contacts as they found a complete engine for their beast.
Hope this is of help.
Regards
Matt T
Matt Thomas
GWR loco dept
16 wheel punishment addict.
Knows a little bit about 8L3's done 5 now !!
benson 149

Postby D5185 » 02 Dec 2008 23:20

Didn't the early Fowler's have Mclarens in them though a lot got replaced by the Rolls C6 engine.
John Pepper
Co-Owner of D5185
Diesel Traction Inspector GCR
D5185

Postby Thunderstruck » 03 Dec 2008 10:20

D5185 wrote:Didn't the early Fowler's have Mclarens in them though a lot got replaced by the Rolls C6 engine.

I think so.

This is a 3 cylinder Mclaren (i'll have to have a propper look at what type) fitted to a Taylor Hubbard p-way crane. On the other end of the engine it's got an equally ancient "Lancashire Dynamo and Crypto Co" Generator. To say it's a beast is an understatement :lol:

Funnily enough John, it's not to far away from you (about 10 miles from Loughborough to be precise at Ruddington)
Jo Coultas,

Co owner of over 500 tonnes of English Electric "Fancies and Collectables"

English Electric, The original and best, accept no substitute!
Thunderstruck

Postby Muppet » 03 Dec 2008 12:14

There are a load of Mclaren engine spares sitting in a wagon I used for shunter spares at the GWR.
I should stress that they aren't mine to offer around, I've been storing them for someone who owns a Mclaren engined 0-4-0 shunter.

What I do know is that no one has expressed an interest in them since the day they were stored in that van about 5 years ago, so I'll see if there is any interest in selling them.

Mark
Mark Whitcombe

Growler Group Committee
Type Three Traction
56097, 37248
Workshy shareholder in a couple of Peaks
Ruston LSSH thing
GWR, GCR(N)
Muppet

Postby Tim Moore » 03 Dec 2008 21:41

There is a firm at Sheepbridge who make piston rings to order. Trouble is I cant remember their name.Try putting piston rings on to Google or try http/:www.bradfordpistonrings.co.uk who are actually in Manchester.

Regards Tim (I have got out from inside 73139 for while!)
Tim Moore
Tim Moore

Postby Skeggycat » 03 Dec 2008 23:23

Tim Moore wrote:There is a firm at Sheepbridge who make piston rings to order. Trouble is I cant remember their name.Try putting piston rings on to Google or try http/:www.bradfordpistonrings.co.uk who are actually in Manchester.

Regards Tim (I have got out from inside 73139 for while!)

Sheepbridge/Chesterfield were taken over by GKN and I believe have now closed down.

I think that Mclaren were taken over by Petter, now Lister Petter. Could be worth a phone call.

Lister Petter Ltd.
Long Street, Dursley,
Gloucestershire,
GL11 4HS
England

Phone: +44 (0)1453 544 141
Fax: +44 (0)1453 546 732
Gordon Brewer.

Cantankerous old sod.
Skeggycat

Postby Tim Moore » 04 Dec 2008 11:40

Remembered now Its precsion products at Sheepbridge WWW.Precisionproductsuk.com they made new rings for us about 2 years ago

Tim
Tim Moore
Tim Moore

Postby 31144 » 04 Dec 2008 22:59

Some of the early Brush Bagnall Traction industrial shunters had Petter McLaren engines in them producing about 200 gee gee's
Les Tappenden

je suis allergique a bullshit !!!

Just doing stuff I like doing

Postby benson 149 » 06 Dec 2008 21:22

Another idea that occurred to me is that the smaller 3&4 cylinder Mclaren engines were also used a bit in the old dragline cranes
I think Priestman cranes and a few others had them in some models
There is a museum at Threlkeld quarry in the lake district area I think, and they may have some info there is a web site for them as well.
you may be able to get contacts there .
Good Luck.
Matt Thomas
GWR loco dept
16 wheel punishment addict.
Knows a little bit about 8L3's done 5 now !!
benson 149

Return to Technical Queries